Infographic: What’s Your State Good At?
More on How We Ranked Each State’s Energy Policy:
When ranking each state’s energy policy, we looked at three key factors: how much the state is doing to encourage energy efficiency through its policies and practices, how much the state is doing to encourage renewable energy through its policy and practices, and how much the state is doing to encourage solar energy adoption specifically (both residential and commercial) through its policy and practices. We also oh-so-subjectively awarded extra points for any special accomplishments such as significantly lowering the state’s greenhouse gas emissions. Primary sources that informed our scoring include the 2010 State Energy Efficiency Scorecard by the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy, the 2010 State Summary of Renewable Energy Portfolios and the 2010 State Summary Solar Report Card by Solar Power Rocks (http://solarpowerrocks.com).
What Is One Block Off the Grid?
One Block Off the Grid makes it easier and more affordable for homeowners to go solar by negotiating deals on solar energy on behalf of homeowners. Since 2008, One Block Off the Grid has hosted hundreds of deals on solar energy in over 40 U.S. states and helped thousands of homeowners go solar. We’ve been featured in dozens of publications and programs including The New York Times, The Economist, The Wall Street Journal, Huffington Post, USA Today, Marketplace, Wired, and GOOD Magazine. In 2010, One Block Off the Grid sponsored the first-ever solar deal on Groupon.com and received a Heart of Green Award for “Best New Innovation.” Want to find out if there’s a deal on solar in your area? Sign up for One Block Off the Grid (it’s free). Not ready to go solar, but want to help take solar mainstream? Tell your friends about One Block Off the Grid.
More Sources for The State Superlatives:
- Alabama: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Alaska: National Center for Health Statistics and Bureau of Census data
- Colorado: Calorie Lab
- Connecticut: LA Times / Measure of America Study
- Hawaii: DOE / Census Bureau / Optimal Deployment of Solar Index (OSDI)
- Illinois: 2009 National Gang Threat Assessment
- Maine: State Health Facts
- Mississippi: Calorie Lab
- Nebraska: National Agricultural Statistics Service
- Nevada: RealtyTrac / National Survey on Drug Use and Health
- Rhode Island: 2006 and 2007 National Surveys on Drug Use and Health data on people age 12 or older / http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/drug-use-across-the-united-states-or-rhode-island-needs-more-rehab/
- Texas: http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/wind_maps.asp#potential
- Utah: CDC / Smoking Rates by State / Top Ten States for Jobs
- Vermont: Morgan Quitno Index
- West Virginia: Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Wyoming: US Energy Information Administration / US Census Bureau